Why Catba & Blueswimmer
Having been traveling and guiding people for the last 15yrs in the area, I have seen
how fast Halong Bay has been pursuing unsustainable development and wholesale commercial tourism.
The bay is now over-used by nearly 200 mega “5-star” junks, which weave everyday through the well-worn
mass tourism routes of the once emerald waters of the Tonkin Gulf. However, in the far southern end of
Halong Bay, the forgotten National Park island of Cat Ba is awakening. With its sleepy Lan Ha Bay and a
multitude of beaches, caves and jungle terrains, the island is starting to change but still remains
largely wild and untouched.
So we at BlueSwimmer Adventure decided to pursue low-impact eco-tourism to try and do our bit
to keep the island's very special purity as long as possible by offering more green outdoor activities
for nature lovers from around the world.
Sometimes when travelling, you can feel like there's nothing you can do to stop the environmental
destruction going on around you. It feels all too hard and you don't believe anything you will
do will really matter or change anything. But eco-tourism in itself is a very new concept in Vietnam
that needs your support to convince the authorities and other mega tourism operators that there is an
alternative to McDonalds-style tourism. Once people see the value in our environment, they will do more
to protect it, and that's where you can make a difference.
I believe low-impact eco-tourism has the power to change the mindsets of business people greedily
pursuing profits at any cost. I believe we can all make a difference and I invite you to join
BlueSwimmer Adventures in spreading the word in northern Vietnam.
Our Green Activities
The Blueswimmer team try and do our best to help preserve the magic of Cat Ba and surrounding areas.
- All our activities are as carbon neutral as you can get, with your own body power propelling you through sea, jungles or up cliff faces. Kayaking, sailing, climbing and mountain biking - great for the environment and a hell of a lot of fun!
- We only use our engines on the boats in case of calm sea, timing, emergency or customer’s demand such as power on boat.
- We compost all our organic waste and use that yummy compost in our BlueSwimmer veggie garden. Those yummy veggies and herbs then get used in our trip meals.
- We minimise the amount of packaging on everything we purchase.
- We recycle all our bottles, cans, paper etc.
- We use electronic formats rather printing fancy brochures or posting out advertisements, saving heaps of trees in the process.
We welcome any ideas for future action from forward-thinking, conciousness folk who have a love for the
environment and a passion for adventure. If we don't have what you want, or there's something you've
always wanted to do and need some help or advice, contact us and we'll reply as soon as we can.